Sunday, August 2, 2009
Post #4
Since landing in Japan, I've already ventured out into the big bad city of Tokyo, Shinjuku to be precise, on my own. Having been given brief directions, I left my hotel in search for the Post Office Bank to exchange some Dollars into Yen. It was a straight path there, but crossing the street for the first time in Japan is like crossing the street for the first time period. In Boston, I would casually cross when there was no oncoming traffic, but here everyone waits for the signals, so I had to control myself to do the same. At the post office, I used a combination of very basic Japanese and English to convey my desire to exchange currency. The bank section was closed and I was instructed to return tomorrow at 10am. Brave and bold, I continued to patrol the streets while the cloudy skies began to form rain clouds. Ducking into a Lawson convenient store, I made my first purchase in Japan, a clear Japanese umbrella. Unable to understand the cashier as she spoke to me, I just nodded and left the store feeling no less different than a mute. Hungry, I found a friend back at the hotel and together we went to grab some food at a nearby Curry place. Instead of placing an order with the waiter, I experience the wonderful process of Japanese eats. We bought a food voucher from a vending machine and handed the ticket to our server, who then brought out our food. All of this took place in less than minutes. This was amazing, no conversations necessary. I guess I can survive in this country, for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad to hear you made it safely. You should be alright in Tokyo for now. It's pretty easy to do things without relying too much on knowing Japanese. Hope your orientation goes great!
ReplyDeletehaha maybe they should do vouchers instead of interaction with waiters here too.. well sometimes..
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that your first day went okay.
DONT FORGET TO SPEAK JAPANESE!!!!! SO IMPORTANT!! x's & o's
ReplyDelete