Thursday, June 25, 2009

Post #1

I'm not someone who's into compiling lists. I don't think I could even consider myself "moderately" organized. I don't use a planner to write down “important” dates, it's all written down in the invisible etch-a-sketch in my head. Anyone who actually carries a physical day planner comes off ostentatious rather than organized anyways. It's like you can't even bother to remember the 4 things you need to do this week: buy the groceries, pick up a package at the office, go to a boring meeting at 9 AM, and possibly eat lunch with your “close” friend who you haven't seen in half a year. You have to whip out your planner to show that you have a life. So normally, I think of myself as someone who is often self-motivated, I can get myself to make flash cards for studying, practice playing the guitar, read an hour a day or so, but I can't organize thoughts into a list. Writing a list is like writing a eulogy for a next-door neighbor that you've never spoken a full sentence to. It's going to sound stupid when you read it back to yourself and it's not going to be useful to anybody.

Don't worry this isn't going to be a list of things I'm going to pack. I've tried writing that one for like 2 months and had failed a total of 5 times. Instead, this is a list of things I won't miss about Boston.

1. The winter. The terror is really made up of the frosty wind and the shitload of snow. Someone once said, Boston has 3 seasons: the season before Winter, Winter, and the season after Winter.

2. Traffic noises. I know mot people will say the honking of Massholes. But I swear I'm haunted by taxis with screeching brakes. It doesn't matter if I'm at a tourist location and there is a line of cabs or at the quiet suburbs and one happens to make a right turn at the intersection I'm standing at. The brakes will most definitely make the sound of 5 fingernails scratching a chalkboard.

3. Taking the subway. Common courtesy does not exist when you're at the subway station. A woman could be the best mother in the world, volunteer at a shelter, and even return the extra money a cashier accidentally gives her, but that same woman will stand in front of the door as you're trying to get off the train. And she will not move. Not if you were pulling your luggage or even if you walked with a shooter cane. She is determined to be the first to enter that door. And then there's the guy who has to tell everyone on the train he is getting off the next stop, so everyone must part like the Red Sea to make way for him to stand next to the door even if the train is in motion because it is absolutely detrimental to the rest of his day.

4. Dodging fatties. I'm referring to the people who like to take up space. They're going to take up all the space on the escalator by standing in the dead middle so that everyone behinds them stays behind them. Then there are the chain walkers who must walk with their group side by side almost linked to the hip so that anyone who wishes to get ahead of them on the street must take the risk of stepping off the sidewalk onto the street and dodging back to the sidewalk before a vehicle honks. Those people were born to stand in front of people who needed to actually go somewhere.

I feel like there should at least be 20 things on this list but I get bored when I try to write a list. I can't do it. I just can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment